Friday, November 1, 2013

Oma Podi - a beginner's maiden recipe

This was a result of such an instant decision that I have to write it down immediately or I'll forget what I did the next time. Mainly, because the reason I made it - my kiddo - liked it :)

I have to tell you, this was my maiden attempt and I was prepared to dilute the batter and make bhaji out of it, if it din't work out.



Number of servings - 3 - 4
Ingredients:
Besan flour - 3/4 cup
Rice flour - 4 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 spoon
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric powder
Salt
Oil

To Paste:
Ajwain - 1 spoon
Garlic 2 -3 pods

Procedure:

  • Make a paste of ajwain and garlic in the blender with water. It need not be smooth, since we are going to strain it and use the water. Keep aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, add the besan flour, rice flour, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, hing and give it a good mix. I kept one handful of this mix separate before adding water, just in case the actual dough becomes sticky, I can add this. And it happened :)
  • Now to make the dough, add the strained ajwain water and prepare the dough. Sprinkle extra water if needed
  • To finish up the dough smoothly, add a spoon of oil  and make a smooth, non-sticky dough
  • Heat oil in a wok at medium flame and once it is hot, make oma podi with the murrukku press. Once it cooks one side, flip it over and cook for a few seconds and drain it


3 comments:

  1. Ooh so yummy! I love oma podi..i'll probably try it w/o garlic! This time was my first attempt at seedai n it came out pretty well! Was scared thinking if it was gonna burst in the oil, thankfully dint :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is nice appu! I dread seedai, have never tried. I used help make the seedai urundai to my mom and grandmom when I was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete

Expert Perspectives