Friday, September 7, 2012

Beet Rice - One Pot Meal

Before starting to talk about how important beets are for kids.. it is absolutely important to adults equally! To me.. I hate the sweet taste of it in beet alone masalas! I try to include it often in different forms... like in pav bahji masala, vadai, perattal etc.. But this is my favorite and fast one!

Learnt the recipe from a friend. Ever since, I've wanted to try it and I finally did and loved it! You cannot spot a taste to sweetness on the rice :) But if you want to, just adjust the chilli powder ratio.


Number of servings: 2
Ingredients:
Beet roots - 1 big (or 1 and a 1/2 small ones)
Onion - 1/2
Ginger garlic paste - 1 spoon (I used freshly grated, instead of paste)
Red chilli powder - 1/2 spoon
Salt


Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups


To Temper:
Mustard seeds
Urad dal

Procedure:

  • Heat oil in a pan and splutter items to temper. Add the ginger garlic, onions and saute well
  • Then add the grated beets, salt and red chilli powder and saute well
  • Add this to the basmati rice and add water and cook it in the rice cooker
or
  • Cook the basmati rice separately and then add the sauteed beets and mix them like for carrot rice  (When I did this method, I skipped the ginger garlic and added hing...)
Both ways tastes great!!

6 comments:

Expert Perspectives