Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cracked Wheat Mini Idly - Kid Friendly Recipe

This was a trial experiment and I should say I was very much satisfied with the result. I've already blogged about the same batter for dosa here in the past. I wanted to try out idly today only because my kid wouldn't eat dosa with it! 


I tried the mini version since it was only for him and surprisingly the idly was very fluffy and soft :)



Ingredients:
Cracked wheat - 2 cups
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Salt
Water

Procedure:
1. Soak the urad dal and cracked wheat separately and let it sit for a couple of hours
2. Make a paste of the urad dal in the blender adding little water as required
3. Make a paste of the cracked wheat adding little water (this will be in the batter consistency, while the urad dal is a little fluffy)
4. Mix the wheat and urad dal, salt and let it ferment over night
5. Make mini idlies with the batter. 



I mixed the mini idlies in podi and gingely oil for my kid. 


11 comments:

  1. Hi Devi ,

    This is very nice breakfast for diabetics patients..

    Very innovative recipe Devi:)

    Keep on Dear..

    www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy and tempting recipe.. looks gr8 :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  3. idli looks so soft and spongy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am sure this must have tasted swell and healthy to boost :) my son is not fond of the upma I make with cracked wheat- bookmarking this !

    ReplyDelete
  5. a different recipe... Hi dear first time to your blog... you've got a lovely collection of recipes... following you... do visit & follow me http://cooklikepriya.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Priya... Sure will do :)

    ReplyDelete

Expert Perspectives