Thursday, March 8, 2012

Zucchini Dal (Kootu)

Hello Ladies!!.. Wish you all a wonderful women's day!!.... I'm here with another favorite dish of my kid- Zucchini kootu.. I've always been ogling certain vegetables in the market/store but hesitant to try... recently I've been trying out a few of them in the form of kootu/dal gravy since that is the main way I get to my kid. Zucchini, Asparagus and Kale are done so far on my list. To be are Qunioa, bok choy n celery. Okay to the recipe now:



Number of servings: 2
Ingredients:
Zucchini - 1
Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 small sized
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp

To temper
Mustard seeds
Urad dal
Cumin seeds
Hing
Red chilli -2

Procedure:

  • Pressure cook or boil cook the dal with turmeric powder until soft and mushy
  • Cook the zucchini and onion in little water until the zucchini is soft (this gets done very fast)
  • Then add the dal to the zucchini and add salt, chilli powder, let it cook
  • Heat oil and splutter the items to temper and add it to the dal
Note: In the same way you can cook chow chow(chayote), kale, spinach. For kale and spinach sometimes I blend coconut, cumin seeds and green chilli and add it instead of the red chilli powder. For the kids you can give this with rice or dosa. 






3 comments:

  1. Delicious n colorful dal..yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe....never tried like this...looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting........looking just great..nice cliks..........

    ReplyDelete

Expert Perspectives