Hi friends... wish you all a very very happy pongal :):) ...
Lots of my blogger buddies have beautifully explained about the festival and its importance, So I will just present my part of it - my fav: Chakkarai Pongal :)
Rice - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1 cup
Water - 7 cups
Cashew nuts, Raisins
1. Wash the rice with water and sift this water and keep (this water is used to make the pongal)
2. Heat the water in the Pongal vessel and wait till it overflows (this is what we refer to as Paal Pongrathu... However, otherwise we need not wait until it overflows)
3. Add the rice and let it cook well before adding jaggery
4. When the rice is well cooked add the Jaggery and cook
5. Heat ghee, add cashew nuts and raisins , roast and add this to chakkarai Pongal
Apart from this, we also make white Pongal, Pongal Kuzhambhu, Sweet Potato porichathu, Karunai Kilangu (In India we make this, I don't get that here, So I substitute it with Potato), Vazhakkai Porichathu, Paruppu, Kootu
After making all this, we draw Kolam in Swami Shelf, in a vazha ilai(Since I don't get that here, I place it in a plate itself) place all the cooked items, place it in front of Swami and Pray and then eat.